A burst pipe is serious business. Not only do you suffer water damage, but your home can become infested with mold and mildew, which impacts your family’s health. If you have a burst pipe or frozen pipes in danger of bursting, call the experts at Zing Plumbing for repair in Tucson, AZ.
Some clogs are so severe that not even chemical drain cleaners can help. Check out our drain cleaning services when you have a stubborn clog.
What Causes a Pipe to Burst?
Burst pipes inflict hundreds to thousands of dollars in damage to your property. They ruin ceilings, floors, and can cause mold and mildew buildup. There are several reasons a pipe bursts, including:
- Freezing: When water freezes inside a pipe, it expands, and the pressure causes ruptures.
- Decay: Old pipes decay and can no longer handle the pressure.
- Clogging: Thick clogs cause pressure inside pipes to increase, which leads to bursting.
Regardless of why your pipes burst, Zing Plumbing is here to help.
How to Deal With a Frozen Outside Bib
A frozen pipe isn’t just an inconvenience; it’s a disaster waiting to happen. The outside hose bib is prone to freezing because of being out in the weather. If your outside bib is frozen, open the spigot. Wrap towels or rags around the pipe close to the handle. Pour boiling water onto the towels and see if water flows from the tap. Once the water runs, leave the spigot open until the flow is steady. The moving water should thaw the rest of the pipe. If you’re stuck, call a professional plumber for help.
A running toilet wastes money. Our clogged toilet repair service can help!
Keep Pipes From Freezing
The best way to prevent pipes from bursting is to keep them from freezing. Follow these tips to do that and protect your home.
- Use pipe insulation on pipes close to the outside
- Keep cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathroom open to allow warm air to flow in
- Disconnect garden hoses and any outside hoses for the winter
- During extremely cold weather, allow water to drip from the faucets
- Call a residential plumber for help in winterizing your home